Earth Day Tips
Did you know that Washington state has around 950,000 households with septic systems?
This Earth Day, we want to share a few tips to keep your system running efficiently and help keep toxins from entering the environment.
Septic systems rely on good bacteria to remove harmful pathogens before allowing water to be re-dispersed back into the ground. Failed systems can cause a lot of problems and have negative impacts on the environment. If septic waste is not treated properly, it can impact your well water and cause harmful algae blooms and bacteria in nearby lakes or other bodies of water.
- Think at the sink and don’t pour fats, grease, paint or chemicals down your sink.
- Protect your pipes, toilet paper is the only thing that should be flushed down the toilet.
- Spread out your water usage and don’t do two weeks’ worth of laundry in one day, this will overload your septic system. It is better to spread out laundry, showers, and water-intensive chores to all your system to treat waste and avoid flooding your drain field.
- Conserve water by switching to low-flow toilets, showerheads, and faucets. If you are looking for a new washing machine, look for one with an Energy Star Rating.
- Have your septic tank pumped every 3-5 years and call Drain-Pro when you have questions or notice anything out of ordinary!
Happy Earth Day and call Drain-Pro for all your Septic needs!
WA Residents: 866.721.4489
OR Residents: 503.668.3000